We are determined to pass a policy solution that rebuilds California’s fractured recycling system. Unfortunately, the bills currently under consideration by the California Legislature fail to achieve that goal.
As written, SB 54 and AB 1080:
- Do not address the root of California’s recycling issues: an outdated and ineffective infrastructure that cannot keep up with demand.
- Will disproportionately impact underserved communities across California, shouldering them with addition financial burden for common, everyday items.
- Do not account for a product’s entire lifecycle
- Lack appropriate incentives for both manufacturers and consumers to reduce packaging waste.
- Will negatively impact the affordability, availability and quality of many of the products Californians rely on every day.